Apr 16, 2010

Post #6: To speak, listen and express

A final reflection on ES2007S

It is hard to fathom that the semester has already come to an end. Over the past 13 weeks, we have had plenty of opportunities to learn and practice a myriad of communication skills – things that were both known and new to us. But the over arching learning point for me would be appreciating the difference between the following:

Talk - Speak
Hear - Listen
Write - Express

At first glance, the communication techniques in both columns seem identical. However,the left column lacks one key element that the right one possesses – being aware of the party(s) involved and their understanding of your message. Yet, it is a delicate balance between appealing to your audience and being sincere about your motivations and message.

We practised this in almost every activity and I realise that for it to become natural behaviour, we must consciously put these skills to use in our everyday lives. I’ll admit that before taking this module, I considered communication workshops to be silly and useless. The resume writing and interview components of the module were what had initially attracted me. But through ES20007S, I have been able to identify many areas of communication that I can improve on. One example of this is public speaking – be it a speech or presentation.

I usually don’t write speech texts for my presentations, preferring instead to speak based on an outline. But having done one for my oral presentation, I find that it allows me to better analyse the tone and language used. Moreover, when working with a group, it prepares my team members for what I’m planning to say and vice versa. This is definitely something I will practice in the future.

Though the module is very helpful, I would recommend to future students to only take it if they have a relatively light semester. Taking 6 modules, this semester was really tight for me. And it was hard keeping up with all the assignments. But the module also is an avenue to interact closely with students outside one’s own major. In my first blog post, I had mentioned that I hoped to build on skills that will help me beyond just academia and enhance my interactions with my peers. I believe all of us have learnt things, both about ourselves and our classmates, that has made these past weeks an enriching experience for all.

It was nice getting to know all of you. Ms Lim, thank you for creating a relaxed and open environment for us to participate in. To all the graduating students, congratulations and good luck with the job search! And the rest of you, good luck with the exams and I hope to see you all around school.=]

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jay,

    Yes, indeed time flew by really fast. This module is really 'fast and furious'. There are lots of things to learn with so little time. But nevertheless, these skills will definitely serve us well in future.

    Like you have mentioned, we have learned many new things which we did not know or taken note of in the past. I'm glad to have taken this module too.

    See you in class next time =)! Good luck for your examinations!

    Cheers
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jayanthi,

    It's a pleasure having you in my class this semester.

    Even though the semester has been a tumultuous one for you, you have demonstrated great resilience and mental toughness, and have strived to put in your best effort in every piece of work submitted. What can I say, except that you've surpassed yourself, making the best of what you have.

    All the best, Jayanthi, and keep in touch!

    Ms. Lim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jayanthi,

    I believe many of us can agree with you that the workload for this module was definitely one heavy one. Some of us feel, too, that this module should only be taken by students who have a relatively light semester. That being said, I THINK most of us have not regretted taking this module.

    It's always a joy seeing you present because you often bring to presentations a smile and a very casual mood. The personality you portray is one that is endearing and it draws one to listen to what you have to say.

    All the best for the rest of your education in NUS and may this module come in useful not only in University but in your future endeavors. Take care & keep in touch!

    ~ Jia Lin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jayanthi!

    I indeed enjoyed having you as a classmate too! =) Your post indeed reminded me of the intricate differences between talking and speaking, hearing and listening, writing and express. I never really thought much about these differences too until I took this module.

    What I also took away from this module was the differences between giving a speech and a presentation. Giving speeches are what I'm used to with the script in front of me and all, but as for presentations...I begin to realise now how challenging they actually are! But nonetheless, this module has made us less "fearful" of giving presentations.

    All the best in the upcoming examinations, keeo in touch (I'm sure we'll see more of each other given we're in the same major =P) and see you in the gathering in June! =D

    Cheers,

    Bryan

    ReplyDelete